Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - 11 January 2011


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Its a weekly meme involving list making (which I love) of 10 Top Things!

This week's topic is Top Ten Bookish Resolutions. Here are mine!

1. Not to skim over the sections I don't like in the books I read: Once I get into a book and I am eager to know what happens at the end, I tend to speed read over the sections which I feel are not that important (like the Lesser portions in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Books) and then I don't always remember everything that happens.

2. Have to get a new bookcase: My bookcase is ancient and is really much to small to fit all the books that I have, which means many of my books are stacked across the house and not being loved as they should be!

3. Have to stop reading more than one book at a time: I often find that if I read more than one book at a time, not only does it take me much longer, but I tend to always feel disappointed by one of the books, although they might both be equally good, just because at that time, the one seems better.

4. Read more than 150 books this year: Last years 100+ was not to difficult and I could have read much more than I did! So for a real challenge I am trying 150 this year.

5. Read at least 10 books by my old favourite authors: When I was younger I loved to read Sydney Sheldon, Wilbur Smith, Dean Koontz, Kellerman, Stephen King, Gemmel, Feist etc. Due to my more recent YA fiction and Paranormal Romance addiction, these authors have been seriously neglected. I would love to catch up on some of their work.

6. Buy more books: I am seriously greedy when it comes to buying books as I already have many of them on Ebook. But I love holding a paperback or hardcover in my hand and the smell of books and therefore I try to have the series that I have read / am reading in that format. These collections are by no means complete and I really should make some work of completing them.

7. Make notes of things that I would want to include in a review: Whilst reading a book I often come across things that I would want to include in a review (things that I loved, irritated me, mistakes, critisisms etc.). However when I get to the end and I loved it (or even hated it) all I can think about is how I loved it (or hated it) and therefore my reviews do not always include everything that I wanted to say.

8. Read at least 10 books from genres other than my normal reads: I have become fairly predictable in the genres that I read and would like to branch out a bit this year (and this does not include Mills & Boon hehe). I am giving Sci-Fi a serious try and maybe some literary works. We'll see how this goes...

9. No blogging or reading at work: Hmm... Once I start blogging or reading at work, I just can't stop! Then I take work home and stress about it being done and it just becomes a circle of bad habits. Whilst I could be lazing at home reading at night I panic over work not done! I know! I'm naughty! Hehe!

10. Slow down on reading: Haha okay this sounds weird considering the 150 goal, but honestly when I take part in so many challenges I fly through the books and I don't really appreciate them the way that I should. At normal pace I read about 3/4 books a week which is more than enough to reach my goals. So I will be trying to slow down on the reading this year and just savouring every read!
So what are your resolutions this year?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your resolutions Sonette! Especially no.10 - with all our challenges I just zip through books, and I really should be savouring them, as you say :)

Misha said...

150 books!! Woah! I can't imagine reading more than 100 :D
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've tried and tried to read more slowly and it never happens. I'm like you....I speed up and skip over things so as to see what happens. Crazy.

I'm a new follower!

Here's my list of Top Ten Bookish, Bloggish Resolutions.

Niecole said...

I love the list Sonette
Skimming is something I tend to do as well, and I'm with you in making an effort in not doing it anymore hehe, but its going to be hard!

Oooh if you love Stephen King, go check out the challenge I'm doing (the button is on my blog) about him.

And your idea on making notes to do reviews, a very good idea, it might help me do reviews better in future :)

Alison Can Read said...

Don't know what I'd do if I read only 1 book at a time. Probably be less confused. But I'm reading 4 or 5 right now. It's so hard to just read one.

brandileigh2003 said...

I am guilty of skimming too often as well
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

Nice goals! I’ve never tracked my reads per year so in 2011 I’m only shooting for 100. I also have a slight problem with reading more than 1 book at a time. Good luck in 2011!

Anonymous said...

Lol I'm also guilty of doing #1... and also in the BDB books! I really have to stop doing it too, sometimes it does backfire on me when I read something and don't remember any previous mention of it at all

Jen said...

A couple months ago I started making notes for myself about things I might possibly want to include in my review. It has helped SO much. Good luck with your resolutions!

Jen at The Broke and the Bookish

Anonymous said...

Great list!! I can relate to a lot of them. Good Luck and Happy Reading! BTW, love your blog!

Shanyn said...

#1 is certainly the most interesting of the goals I've seen so far! I find myself doing that every so often and try to slow it down so I don't miss the details - especially when I'm going to review the book, because that isn't very fair to the author.

Post a Comment

I love myself some comments so please take the time to leave me one, even if your just saying hi!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the The New Me and This Moment kits by Irene Alexeeva