Monday, January 3, 2011

Beautiful Dead - Book 04 - Phoenix

Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)Phoenix by Eden Maguire

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

******SPOILER ALERT******

At last we get to read about how Darina's beloved Phoenix died. I have already expressed my dislike for the denial which Darina finds herself in at the beginning of each book in my review of Summer, and of course this book was predictably no different. However this time Darina's denial (and presumably her fear) causes her to refuse to face and/or solve Phoenix's mystery.

She ultimately finds the courage to look for Phoenix's killer. In this process she steps on some drug gangs' toes and almost gets herself killed (once again). I find the fact that she is miraculously saved from every life threatening situation a bit unrealistic and it left me feeling a bit ambivalent toward this book.

At the end of the day she solves Hunter's mystery first and unwittingly uncovers that she is in fact a distant relative of Hunter. He then heads of to the Afterlife and leaves her to pick up the pieces of Phoenix's mystery. In the end she travels back in time again with the new Overlord and Phoenix and discovers that Phoenix's brother, Brandon, was in fact the one who killed Phoenix in the mix up of the fight between the different gangs and drug barons during which Phoenix died. This is a devastating discovery for both herself and Phoenix.

Phoenix moves on to the Afterlife and leaves Darina grieving for him once again. Ultimately she finds the strenght to move on with her life after a seemingly dramatic realisation that Phoenix will always be with her in her heart.

I once again gave this book three stars. Being a hopeless romantic I expected the author to find some way around Phoenix's death in order for Phoenix and Darina to be together, but I suppose it is more realistic this way. I did find the last book ended very abrupty though and at the end of it felt wholely unsatisfied. I still give it a thumbs up though as I ultimately enjoyed the series.
View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love myself some comments so please take the time to leave me one, even if your just saying hi!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the The New Me and This Moment kits by Irene Alexeeva