Monday, January 10, 2011

House of Night - Book 8 - Awakened

Awakened (House of Night, #8)Awakened by P.C. Cast

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

***** SPOILER ALERT *****

All I can say after reading this book is WOW! The House of Night stories, whilst being aimed at a much younger target group than what I actually am, has had me enthralled from the first book and Awakened was certainly no exception.

The story picks up with Zoey returned from the Otherwold and her soul slowly healing. You are lulled into a sense of security and safety at first when Bham! the first shocking incident happens which throws Zoey and her friends lives back into turmoil. From that point onward they receive no reprieve from Neferet and her wickedness.

As always the storyline delivered an action packed story which you just can't stop until the last page. P.C. and Kristin Cast's writing style is descriptive and at the same time easy and accessible to readers of all ages.

It might be necessary to add that the books do seem to be copies of one another with a repeat thereof that Zoey and her friends face a challenge from Neferet and/or Kalone which they ultimately overcome with everyone's help, this has not bothered me throughout the series and still does not hinder my enjoyment of the books.

The plot has kept on building from the first book and I for one am dying to know how this story will end! The challenges which these characters face seem to be insurmountable and I find it refreshing that they don't just succeed without much effort every time. Evil certainly seems to have the upperhand in the House of Night series and as soon as one obstacle is overcome, more and more are added.

I was happy to learn that the writers found a way around the challenges in Rephaim and Stevie Rea's relationship and that they can now be together without me imagining her kissing a gross bird guy (which was difficult to imagine anyway). I also loved the fact that Zoey and Starke at last took their relationship to a more serious level and I really hope that that couple will make it in the end. Unfortunately the authors have left this question very much open as it seems that Heath's role in this story is not nearly as done as I had hoped (damn!).

We will have to wait and see whether Starke (yumm!) will be Zoey's future at the end of the day, although I will be very disappointed if he isn't!

Overall a very resounding two thumbs up from me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister loves this series! I haven't started yet but I might pick it up soon.

Krystal said...

I didn't read your review - yet! I saw the Spoiler Alert, and since I haven't read the book yet, there was no way I was reading this. But I did see your rating of 5 out of 5 stars! Woo hoo, I have a copy and cannot wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

thanks! for sharing

Niecole said...

Hey Sonette
Thanks so much for the review, didnt read all of it like you said :)

I love Stevie Rae and hope she has a great end

Straylights said...

I really really disliked all the parts with Zoey. Her and Starks dialogue was so irritating! I think they should just switch the entire series over to Stevie Rae and Rephaim :)

Unknown said...

@ Straylights, I suppose its a little bit of "to each his own". I'd love myself a neat little package of Stark anytime!

Straylights said...

you're imagining him doing a scottish accent aren't you ;) ;) I like Stark too, just without Zoey :D (Hehes)

Post a Comment

I love myself some comments so please take the time to leave me one, even if your just saying hi!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the The New Me and This Moment kits by Irene Alexeeva